Monday, June 2, 2014

A Short Post About Yoga

Like the vast majority of the population, I really struggle with an extreme lack of motivation when it comes to working out.

In high school I ran track and cross country, which definitely was enough exercise. But ever since then, I go back and forth with becoming motivated for awhile and then losing it all for a couple months. But the other day I went running and I wanted to do yoga afterwards because it's supposed to be so good for runners. So I looked up a video on youtube and it felt great! So I kept browsing through other yoga videos and stumbled upon the 30 Day Yoga Challenge with Erin Motz through DoYouYoga.com. So I did day one and LOVED it!

I'm currently on day 11 and going strong. Erin's videos are so easy to follow, she's very real and down to earth, and gives several options to make stretches and poses harder or easier depending on the level you are personally at. Her philosophy behind yoga definitely shines through her videos:

"For me, yoga has never been about strict adherence to tradition or rules that preceded me. 
I believe that yoga is a tool we can use to help us make our bodies work better for us. 
It’s a tool that creates space and allows for fluid, efficient movement. 
I believe that yoga is for everyone: from the kale-loving vegan
to the prize-winning deer hunter. I believe that there’s no such thing as 
“advanced” poses, just difficult or less difficult ones. Yoga isn’t about labels 
(the ones we put on ourselves or the ones on our pants) or classification and should be 
inclusive regardless of beliefs, lifestyles, diets or any other choice. It’s that simple."

The goal is to feel good, and her videos have not only done that for me, but her day 4 Pilates inspired ab session is crazy good and I keep repeating the video and I'm definitely noticing results!


I love it because I can complete the videos in the comfort of my own home and not have to worry about trying to do yoga in a skirt. The videos are all about 10-20 minutes long - the perfect length in my opinion. And to get a full workout in, I just repeat some of my old favorites from previous days. Erin now has a 10 day ab challenge and just announced on her website that a new challenge is in the works! 

It is seriously amazing! Don't knock it until you try it... You will feel so good, and it improves your strength, balance, and flexibility! Plus she doesn't get all "yoga" on you if you're not into all of that yoga talk ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment